Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Fiberglass multicells...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Fiberglass multicells...


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Fiberglass multicells...

    I've mentioned in several discussions that Community made fiberglass multicells...they are NOT common...but for the curious...

    Rauland 8-cell multicell horns - fiberglass (like Altec 803)

    They were made in Altec and JBL throats...

    Anyway, the post that got me there...

    http://westernmass.craigslist.org/msg/1418413808.html
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  2. #2
    HB Forum Owner Todd W. White's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    1,863
    Follows
    1
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

    Re: Fiberglass multicells...

    I have in my possession Altec's prototype for a fiberglas version of the 805B Multicellular Horn.

    In talking with Ted Uzzle one day, I asked him why they never produced it. His reply was that it was not possible to do using fiberglas (at least, it was not possible to make them out of fiberglas to Altec standards). He further stated that the point where the cells divide the sound at the throat has to be almost, if not, razor-sharp to prevent reflections from going back up into the throat and HF driver, and that it was not possible to achieve this with the fiberglas version, so it was abandoned, presumably when the Mantaray project got going hot and heavy.

    Anyone who is interested in owning this piece of Altec history can PM me...
    Todd W. White, Owner & Webmaster
    Altec Lansing's (unofficial) Homepage

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member
    Fiberglass multicells...


    Old Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    June 23rd, 2003
    Posts
    6,359
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

    Re: Fiberglass multicells...

    Technology has improved...Carbon fiber can make cutting blades...but they wouldn't be cheap!

    You could probably buy a vintage set of tar filled cheaper...
    Your neighbors called. They like your music.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Fiberglass multicells...

    Quote Originally Posted by Todd W. White View Post
    He further stated that the point where the cells divide the sound at the throat has to be almost, if not, razor-sharp to prevent reflections from going back up into the throat and HF driver...
    Great info Todd. Thanks!

    For those interested you might want to look at this thread on DIYAudio.com
    construction-multicell-horn

    Here is a photo from the thread that shows how he did the thin edges in wood.
    23507030

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Fiberglass multicells...

    Wow...

    Peter's system looks really impressive..... too bad I am not road tripping to Sweden though, hehe..the wife prolly wouldn't enjoy that one..... I could get to see some relatives in Norway though...

    Thanks for the link Pano, btw, how was RMAF?



    -chris

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Panomaniac's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 25th, 2006
    Posts
    1,811
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: Fiberglass multicells...

    Yes, amazing work! Some folks are just super talented. Well, the Swedes claim to be born with a hammer in their hands. Peter makes it look easy - I'm sure it's not. =)

    RMAF and the weeks leading up to it were a blur. Very busy, very hectic. But it was a good show. Not as busy as last year, but good. Last year's topic at the show was the market crash. It was happening during the show. This year everyone was talking about the economy. But still a big show with plenty of vendors.

    What ever happened to your multicell adventures?

  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member oface1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 5th, 2008
    Posts
    563
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Fiberglass multicells...

    Hey Pano,

    After a few days of correspondence, the seller flaked/backed out. I threw up the offer of me getting a freight company to put them on a pallet, he refused, asked to meet me halfway ( me footing the gas bill bill and offering to pay for lunch), he refused. I finally bit the bullet and said I would pick them up and will be there when you want me to with cash, never heard back from him.

    The deal with the 288's for a song fell through, the guy said "his wife found out & told him to get mroe money on ebay", which sucked, caused he told me he was packing them up and going to the PO till his wife asked what he was doing....a little erked , I was.......

    Oh well, I have my eye on a single/driver multi horn ( 801 if I remember right) set from way back,,, it is the one you see on top of the lansing cabs in the B/W pics of yester year... I am trying to work on it..


    Glad things went well @ RMAF, I am planning on going there either next year or after that one.....


    later,


    -chris

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.